Painting your double garage door will enhance the exterior appearance of your home. How much will it cost to paint?
The average cost to paint a double garage door is $355. Prices do range between $220 – $500 depending on the current condition of your door and the amount of prep needed.
How much you pay to paint a double garage door depends on several other factors discussed below.
Painters charge $20 to $50 per hour on average. The cost varies from city to city and painter to painter, so it’s best to get a few estimates before choosing a painter.
Cost of materials
Besides paint, you may require other materials. Cleaning supplies, paper, tapes and materials for surface repair are some of the materials you need for the project. Painters will charge you up to $50 for the materials.
Condition of the door & Prep costs
If you have a door with flaking paint or dents and scratches that need to be fixed before painting can begin, it will add to the final price. In most cases, the painter will need to give the door a light sand before beginning so the paint will stick.
To paint a double garage door, you require a gallon of paint. Latex paint costs $25 – $55 per gallon, acrylic paint $30 – $55, and oil-based paint costs $35 – $65. The more expensive the paint you use, the more your garage door painting project will cost.
Further, depending on the material of your garage door, you may need more paint. Similarly. If you paint both sides of the garage door, you will need more than a gallon of paint.
What kind of paint should I use on the garage door?
The type of paint to use depends on the material of the garage door. Latex paints are suitable for use on steel doors. You can also use it on wood and acrylic doors if you add a layer of primer and a bonding agent.
Paint your aluminum garage doors with acrylic paint and use oil-based paint on steel doors.
How much paint do I need for a double garage door?
One gallon of paint is sufficient for the double garage door. You can get two to three layers of paint. You may need more paint when painting over a different color.
Pros and cons of painting a garage door
- Enhance the appearance of the exterior of your home.
- Prevents rusting on metal doors.
- Increases the lifespan of the door.
- Paint may increase the weight of the door which may cause it to open slower than normal.
How to paint a garage door
- Check the weather. Painting is best done on a cool day. The paint sets slowly for a bright appearance and ensures that it does not flake or chip.
- Prepare the garage door for painting. Start by smoothing any rough parts of the door. Use sand paper, then clean with water and soap. Let the door dry before you start painting.
- Cover up the parts you do not want to paint. Cover the floor near the door with a drop cloth. Cover window frames, door handles and locks with heavy-duty painters tape. Cover the driveway and the exterior of the garage door.
- Set the garage door. Disengage the garage door from the opener. In this position you can move the door up and down easily for easier reach when painting.
- Start painting. First apply a layer of primer and let it set and dry for about 12 hours. Use the correct primer for the material of your garage door. Start from top to bottom.
- Apply the first layer of paint on the garage door, from top to bottom and let it dry for 4-12 hours.
- Finally, apply the final coat of paint and close the door. Let the paint dry overnight before opening it.
Tools and materials that you need to paint a garage door
- Cleaning cloth
- Drop cloth or old clothes to cover the floor and parts that you will not paint. You can also use painters tape.
- Step ladder
- Safety gear, such as rubber gloves, googles, dust mask, safety boots and overalls.
- An all purpose cleaner.
- Suitable primer
- Suitable and sufficient paint.
DIY or hire a pro
You can choose to DIY or hire a pro. DIY ensures that you save on the cost of painting a garage door.
Painting is an easy to complete task. However, hiring a professional ensures that it is completed without errors. It also saves you the time spent waiting for the paint to dry before you can apply the next layer.
A professional ensures that the results of the painting job transform the appearance of your home.
If you hire a pro, ensure that you can get at least three quotes before hiring. It allows you to get a correct estimate of how much the job will cost and to get a pro who will work within your budget. Also, ensure that the painter you hire offers you a payment plan for the job.
Additionally, remember to ask your pro for a guarantee. It ensures that if you require a repeat job, they will do it without charging you. It is likely that the paint used does not stick to your garage door. It can happen if you are painting over another color.
Hire a pro to paint your double garage door
Homegardenguides.com is a free-to-use tool that connects homeowners to professional painters.
To use this tool:
- Enter your zip code at the top of the tool.
- Fill in the form to provide more details on the service you require.
- You will receive three quotes from professional painters.