Mold is a type of fungus that can thrive both indoors and outdoors. Outdoor mold plays an essential role in breaking down organic matter, whereas indoor mold can potentially be hazardous to health and sometimes may be harmful.

Some of the most common toxic molds are Fusarium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, Stachybotrys chartarum, Cryptococcus neoformans, and Histoplasma capsulatum, while Alternaria, Dresclera, Nigrospora, Pithomyces, Ulocladium, Aureobasidium, Stemphylium are some of the most prevalent non-toxic molds.

So, keep this article; it can help you learn about mold in detail.

Mold is a fungus that often looks like vague spots of different colors. Various species have been identified that come under the mold. No doubt, the presence of the mold can pose a severe health risk to you and your family if they are present at home. But not every mold is toxic.

There are non-toxic molds, including Alternaria, nigrospora, dresclera, pithomyces, aureobasidium, stemphylium, and ulocladium. These types of mold do not produce mycotoxins, so they are not that hazardous to the health.

But it does not mean that you do not take it seriously if you find mold somewhere indoor or outdoor. Consulting experts and getting them removed help prevent you from any potential health hazards that can be caused due to mold.

What is mold

Where can mold be found?

Mold can be found anywhere, indoors and outdoors. Shady, damp areas and places where leaves or other vegetation is decomposing are the most feasible place for mold. Along with this, it can be found in basements, kitchens, and bathrooms.

Drywall, ceiling tiles, rug, furniture, paneling, wallpaper, roofing, ductwork, and plumbing areas are where mold grows aggressively and are rare to notice.

Types of molds

While mold is found everywhere, you go and it is not always harmful. There are certain types of mold that can pose a severe health hazard risk to you and your family if they are present in your home or premises. Mold is defined in two categories:

  • Toxic
  • Non-toxic

If you live in a humid environment and you can see mold in your home or office, you need to get it treated. Though toxic molds cannot be seen with naked eyes, the mold you can see is non-toxic or can be treated easily.

Toxic mold mainly grows in dark and humid areas. The presence of toxic mold makes your indoor appearance ugly and unpleasant. It affects indoor air quality and directly affects your health.

No doubt, inhaling fresh air helps in physical and mental wellbeing. And that is why you should never ignore mold on your property. Though they are not poisonous, the chemical property or toxic mold produces mycotoxins (myco is a prefix that means fungal) that can lead to severe health issues.

Mycotoxins

Mycotoxins are chemical byproducts of metabolic processes. Metabolic processes contribute to maintaining life, such as converting food into energy or cellular respiration, as some specific mycotoxins can cause a harmful response in humans and animals, even in minor amounts. It can cause severe health issues like triggering allergies or asthma attacks.

Toxic molds, or toxigenic molds

Toxigenic mold is the combination of chemical metabolic byproducts called mycotoxins, which can lead to toxic reactions in the human and animal bodies. Mycotoxins are hazardous chemicals and can travel with mold cells.

There is numerous research t