Installing a wire fence could be for different reasons. Some people use them to keep animals within a space, some use them to add more security to homes, and others use them to add a little privacy without totally blocking something out.
Installing a wire fence, depending on its type and the quality, would range from about $1 to $8 per foot. The cost depends on the type of wire, and the height of the desired fence.
Wire fences are best used in gardening and agriculture when you prioritize protecting your plants, crops, or livestock, instead of getting a high-end fence that provides total privacy.
|Wire fence type||Average cost per foot|
|Chain link (4ft height)||$7.00 - $12.00|
|Barbed wire (Livestock)||$1.25 - $3.50|
|Woven wire fence||$1.48 - $1.85|
|Chicken wire||$2.00 - $4.0|
|Hog wire||$0.75 - $3.25|
|Woven wire||$1.48 - $1.85|
The cost for installing a wire fence could vary depending on the type of material, the type of wiring, the height of the desired fence, and the purposes you want it to serve.
For reference, below are the ballpark average cost and average range costs for the types of wire fences.
Chain link wire fence
- Inexpensive and lightweight, yet strong enough to create an effective boundary marker for properties, pet spaces, and small livestock.
- It provides security especially when paired with barbed wire.
|Description||Average Cost per linear foot|
|Chain Link Fence (4ft height)||$7 to $12|
|Additional Height||$1 to $2|
|Additional Privacy Slats||$3 to $5|
|Additional Fabric Screen||$3|
Barbed wire fence
- Made of steel and is usually used for keeping livestock and cattle contained in an area.
- Animals or people trying to pass or break through the barbed wire are repelled by the pointed barbs that can cause injury, providing effective security from predators or intruders.
- There are two types of barbed wires: livestock and security. The prices below will indicate both types.
|Barbed Wire Fence per foot (Livestock)||$1.25 to $3.50 per foot|
|Barbed Wire Fence per foot (Security/Razor)||$1 to $3 per foot|
|Barbed Wire (Construction)|
For a 1,300-foot fence
Chicken wire fence
- Flexible, strong, and durable
- While the chicken wire is commonly used to secure poultry, this type of fencing can also keep rabbits, mice, squirrels, and other small animals. They can also be used to reinforce concrete.
- The average cost to install a chicken wire fence could run from $2 to $4.50 per foot.
Hog wire fence
- Hog wire fences are used for containing hogs and creating pens; however, they are also used for residential purposes.
- Usually, hog wires are framed with wood and are attached to wooden fences for an aesthetic appeal in residential yards.
- To install a hog wire fence, you can expect to spend about $0.75 to $3.25 per foot.
Woven wire fence
- Also called “page wire” or “sheep fencing”, are wire nets of lightweight intersecting horizontal wires and vertical wires, and are normally stretched between stakes.
- This type of fencing is commonly used for keeping sheep, goats, and pigs.
- To improve its effectiveness, people can add one or two strands of barbed wire at the top.
|Woven Wire Fence||$1.48 to $1.85 per foot|
|Woven Wire Fence |
100 feet long; 5 feet height
2” x 4” mesh
|$180 per roll|
|Woven Wire (4ft by 300ft)|
330 feet length; 4 feet height
6” by 6” mesh
|$189 per roll|
Wire fence national average cost
A lot of factors can contribute to the cost to install a wire fence. Most of the time, people can expect a national average cost range of $2,400 to have a wire fence installation.
However, since there are several materials to choose from where each of them can serve various purposes and quality, the price consequently varies. For reference, here are the average prices:
|Average Range||$1,250 to $8,000|
|Low-End Wire Fence Installation Cost||$836|
|High-End Wire Fence Installation Cost||$12,500|
|National Average Cost||$2,400|
In terms of cost per foot, you can expect to spend from $1 to $8 per foot, with the cost depending on the type of wire and the height. For reference, most fences stand from 26-inches to 48-inches tall.
Wire fence post cost by material
If you want to install a new fence, the cost of the posts is usually part of the overall expense of installation. However, in cases where you only need to replace or extend the length of your fence, the price for fence posts is billed separately.
For wire fences to be secure and functional, they need to be affixed to posts and secured properly to the ground. Depending on the type of wire fence, you can choose between wood or metal posts.
On average, you can expect to pay between $20 to $60 for the fence post and its installation. This, of course, depends on the type of fence and the material that you prefer.
Wood fence posts
Some wood posts come with decorative tops and are often used in combination with mesh wire or wooden frames. They also come in various thicknesses and serve their purpose best in livestock containment.
Wood posts appear more appealing compared to metal fence posts and are more versatile and more configurable. However, one of the downsides of wood fence posts is they are more prone to rot, which may need to be periodically replaced.
If you wish to pair your wire fence with a wood post, the average cost to have it installed would be around $20 to $50 per post.
In selecting the type of metal post you need for your wire fence, you first need to know how strong you need your fencing to be, the purpose you want it to serve and the type of wire fencing you want to attach to it.
With metal posts, you can choose from thin rods to more thick and solid pieces. Thinner metal fence posts are usually used with lightweight fencing, and heavy and sturdy wire fencing may require its counterpart metal fence posts.
Typically, metal fence posts are more durable compared to wood, with little maintenance. However, they can be less versatile and less appealing compared to wooden posts.
If you opt for a metal fence post, the average cost would be $25 to $60 for each metal fence post.
Labor cost to install a wire fence
If you wish to hire a professional for the wire fence installation, you can expect to spend between $40 to $60 per hour, which translates to $0.92 to $5 per foot in labor costs.
Usually, a post installation takes 1 to 3 days to finish. However, the actual duration of the time is dependent on the fence’s size, the type of fence you want to get installed, and other special conditions.
Another thing to account for in the labor costs is the condition of the terrain where you want the fence to be installed. For instance, if the ground is uneven or has a slope, this will be accounted for in the re-sloping costs which could run an average of $1,300.
Most of the time, it is best to hire a professional for your wire fence installation. With their expertise, you can rest assured that your fence is properly installed and will stand for a long time.