Hog wire fence consists of a metal wire grid with a wooden frame around it. How much does it cost?
Installation of hog wire fence with wooden frame will cost between $3 and $10 per linear foot. The height of the fence, size of the land and quality of the wire will determine how much you will pay in total.
Each fence installation project is unique. Let us see more about the cost of installing a hog wire fence with a wooden frame.
Cost factors for hog wire fences with a wooden frame
Size Of The Land
The larger the land you want to fence, the more you will pay.
It costs $2,000 to $8,000 to fence an acre with a hog wire fence with a wooden frame. You will pay $600 to $2,400 to fence a ¼ acre.
A large plot means that you will require more wood and metal. It also means that it will take more time to install the fence. Therefore, it will cost you more.
Height Of The Fence
The higher the fence, the more it costs to install. You can install a 4 to 8-foot fence. The purpose of the fence determines its height. The higher the fence, the safer it is.
An 8-foot hog wire fence is more expensive to install than a 6-foot fence. It uses longer wooden frames which increase the cost of the fence significantly.
Additionally, you require more wire to frame.
Material Of The Fence
Hog wire fence consists of two types of material with varying costs. Metal wire and wood.
There are many types of metal wires you can purchase for your hog wire. Different types of metals have different prices.
Similarly, there are many types of wood frames you can purchase for your frames. Different types of wood also have varying prices.
Types Of Hog Wire Fences
Frameless Hog Wire Fence
Frameless hog wire fences are composed only of the metal wire grid.
Framed Hog Wire Fence
A framed hog wire fence can either have wooden or metal frames. The metal grid has a frame all around it.
Pros Of Installing A Hog Wire Fence With Wooden Frames
- Keeps pets and other animals safe and within the compound.
- Grow plants and flowers on the fence.
- Easy to install
- Affordable to install.
- Easy to decorate
- Attractive even without decoration.
- You can move them easily if you want.
- Easy to maintain.
- Easily adapts to the environment
- Durable. Hog wire fences with wood or metal frames can last 25 to 50 years.
- Does not offer total privacy.
- Temporary fences
- Need to trim the top to avoid injuries.
- Allows small animals and pests through.
- Cannot be electrified
How To Maintain Your Hog Wire Fence With Wooden Frame
The most important aspect of maintenance on the hog wire fence is to keep the wooden frame intact.
- Ensure that the wood is chemically treated. It ensures that it keeps away pests that may cause it to rot.
- Keep water away from the fence. Wood absorbs water to increase its moisture content. High water levels in the wood weaken it and cause it to break and damage easily. Ensure that there is proper drainage around the fence.
- Stain the wood to prevent rot and decay. Apply a coat of primer for the wood to absorb the stain easily. Anual staining or painting keeps the fence in good condition.
- Regular inspection to ensure that the wire grid is firmly in the frame.
- Go for high-end wood types that are pest resistant.
DIY v Hiring A Professional Fence Contractor To Install A Hog Wire Fence With Wooden Frames
Materials for a hog wire fence with wooden frames are cheap to buy. If you have the skills and tools, you can DIY the installation as it will save you money.
However, if you do not have the right tools and skills for fence installation, hire a pro. They will finish the installation perfectly and on time.
Benefits Of Hiring A Pro To Install Your Fence
- Allows you time to do other things.
- They have the right tools for the job and they do not charge you to use them as you would have happened in a DIY situation.
- Professional. They carry a license and insurance to pay for accidents and damage.
- There are no mistakes during installation. If they happen, the professional will correct them without a charge to you
How to save money on your fencing project
- Buy cheap fencing materials.
- Make accurate estimates.
- Carry out prior preparation yourself.
- Price survey. Collect quotes from at least three fence installation pros.