Are you planning to install a new fence or replace your old one? PVC Fencing is an excellent choice as it is durable and aesthetically appealing. It is also a great option for privacy and can increase the value of your home. This fence requires low maintenance, making it a popular choice for many homeowners.
On average, homeowners spend approximately $3,800 to install a PVC fence, with a typical range of $2,200 and $5,400. The project’s final price may vary widely depending on the size of your yard, the type of PVC fence, location, job complexity, and finish options.
PVC fencing cost per linear foot
The average cost to install a PVC fence per linear foot is approximately $15 to $40, including labor and materials. Material cost ranges between $10 and $30 per linear foot, while labor costs about $5 to $10 per foot.
Most vinyl fences tend to be 4 to 6 feet high and can be as high as 12 feet. The installation cost increases as the height increases. Also, if the ground is hilly, bumpy, or rocky, expect to pay more for the job.
Average Labor cost of PVC fencing
On average, labor costs about $5 to $10 per linear foot depending on the job complexity and other factors named above. Some contractors may charge hourly rates ranging between $30 and $50 if you provide materials.
Labor cost takes a small section of your budget because PVC fence costs about two to three times more than wood fencing. The labor budget for wood and PVC fences remains almost the same.
PVC gate cost
Typically, a PVC fence gate costs approximately $300 to $1,500 to install, on top of the fence installation price. Large decorative double gates may cost up to $3,000, depending on the design, quality, and gate details. It is essential to match your gate to your fence for a harmonious look.
PVC fencing cost by type
|Type||Cost per linear foot|
|Picket||$15 to $20|
|Privacy||$25 to $60|
|Shadowbox||$25 to $40|
|Rail||$15 to $25|
PVC picket fence
The average cost to install a PVC picket fence is approximately $15 to $20 per linear foot. You can spend about $3,000 for a typical 200 linear foot project. The cost will be higher for larger projects.
4 feet tall fences are the most common for back and front yards. This height is ideal for keeping pets and kids within the property, keeping out intruders, and defining property lines clearly. It is, however, not an ideal option if you are looking for privacy.
PVC Privacy fence
Privacy fences tend to be about 6 feet tall, and they typically cost around $25 to $60 per linear foot. Simple designs are cheaper, but if you want taller fences with upgraded designs, the cost will lean towards the high-end. Some of the popular decorative options include horizontal patterns, lattice effects, and criss-cross patterns.
Taller privacy fences obstruct noise, giving you a quiet environment. These fences effectively prevent intruders from peeking through the fence. They also protect your kids and animals from straying away from the property. Although they are costlier to install, they are a worthy investment because of their benefits.
PVC Shadowbox fence
The cost to install a shadowbox PVC fence ranges between $25 and $40 per linear foot on average. This type of privacy fence keeps your kids and pets within the property and keeps off intruders.
Several design features, such as trellis, can offer additional privacy from a distance when you add it on top of the fence. This design may cost about $6 per linear foot. While you can DIY the installation, it is best to hire professionals for a beautiful and professional look.
PVC rail fence
Installing a PVC rail fence will set you back by approximately $15 to $25 per linear foot. This fence is also called split rail, horse, or ranch fence. The overall cost ranges between $1,500 and $7,500, depending on its length.
The PVC rail fence is fast becoming popular because of its simple yet appealing design. It is a budget-friendly option and will enhance your property’s curb appeal. This fence type is commonly used to define boundaries for homes, but it is not an ideal pick for privacy fences because people can see through the rails. It
PVC fencing cost by style
|Style||Cost per linear foot|
|White||$15 to $30|
|Wood grain||$25 $40|
|Black||$35 to $60|
White PVC fence
The average cost to install a white PVC fence ranges between $15 and $30 per linear foot. For shadowbox design, the price can go up to $35 per linear foot. This cost includes labor and materials. The cost may vary depending on the height of the fence, project size, and location.
This fence type is very popular because it is beautiful and simple. It enhances the home’s visual appeal, which is important if you want to sell your property. However, you should make sure you get good installers for professional-looking results.
Wood Grain PVC fence
The average cost to install a wood grain PVC fence is around $25 to $40 per linear foot. The price per panel for this type of fence ranges between $100 and $230 for 8-foot wide sections. Woodgrain fences cost almost double the other fences because of the unique surface texture. Different colors are available, and they may come at different prices.
If you want a rustic look but do not want to install a wooden fence, a wood grain PVC fence will be an ideal option. It is very appealing and will make your home look beautiful and unique.
Black PVC fence
Installing a black PVC fence may set you back by about $35 to $60 per linear foot. Black PVC fences are not common like other lighter colors, making them more expensive to install. For instance, one 6-foot high and 8-foot wide black panel costs around $370, while other colors range between $100 and $285 per panel.
Black PVC fences may need higher maintenance than other colors because they absorb more heat which may discolor them. So, these fences may need repainting after every few years to protect them from the effects of the weather.
How do I estimate the cost of PVC fencing?
Estimating the cost of a PVC fence is essential to set up a budget for the project and prepare adequately. Below are some of the factors you should consider.
- Labor: Labor costs may vary from one contractor to another. To get the correct range, ensure you get about three or five estimates from different contractors. Also, some contractors may offer hourly rates, while others offer fixed rates depending on your agreement or the nature of the project.
- Height: PVC fences come in different heights, ranging from 3 feet to about 12 feet tall. The installation cost increases as the fence height increases.
- Project size: the size of your project determines the overall installation cost. Larger projects will be costlier because they require more materials.
- Materials: it is paramount to know how much materials cost to estimate the project cost accurately. PVC is about three times costlier than a comparable wooden fence.
Whether you plan to DIY or hire a professional, knowing the price range of your project is essential to come up with a proper budget.
How to maintain PVC fencing
Vinyl fences do not require high maintenance like other fence types, but they can accumulate dirt over time. To make the cleaning easier and prevent dirt build-up, rinse the fence using a hosepipe once a week.
You can thoroughly clean your PVC fence once a year using a mild cleaning solution and a sponge. The PVC fence cleaners are available at local hardware stores for around $20 per gallon. You can also use mold prevention coating on your fence to prevent mold from growing.
If you do not want to DIY the cleaning, hiring a handyman to do the cleaning may cost approximately $60 to $90 per hour.
DIY vs. Hiring an Expert
Vinyl fences may need repairs or even replacement if not installed correctly. For this reason, you must decide whether to hire a professional or DIY the project. Experienced installers know what materials are best and can provide excellent installations. However, if you are looking to cut on the cost, DIY is the way to go.
Do It Yourself
- DIY PVC fence installation is cost-effective if you want to save some money.
- You can completely customize the fence to your liking.
- It gives you a perfect opportunity to improve your skills.
- Installing a fence is complicated and can take a long time for an inexperienced installer.
- The fence will not have a professional look.
- They are expensive over time due to frequent repairs.
- You may get injured during the job.
- DIY projects are prone to material wastage.
Hiring an Expert
- It is time-effective because pros have more experience.
- The fence will have an appealing look, which may enhance your house’s visual appeal.
- Pros can give you professional advice on what materials you should use.
- The installation will cost a lot more due to labor.
- You are not guaranteed that the results will be satisfactory.
- It may be daunting to find a good contractor for the job.
How to find a good PVC fencing contractor
Finding a reliable PVC fencing contractor may be daunting, especially if it is your first time. With contractors flooding the market, it may be difficult to tell apart genuine professionals and scammers. These tips will come in handy during your search.
You can find several installers around your neighborhood if you ask around. Your family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues can provide you with excellent referrals. Besides, most professional fencing companies usually nail badges onto completed fences to advertise their work.
Get multiple estimates
Before you hire any professional contractor, it is essential to get multiple estimates. This gives you a wide range of options, and you can choose the best cost combination depending on your budget and needs.
Experience is another critical factor that you should determine when choosing a PVC fence installer. Companies or professionals that have been in the game for a long time are the best to hire. This is because they are more experienced in handling complex installations and can guarantee you high-quality results.
While most PVC fencing installers offer a warranty, it is essential to check the kind of warranty they offer. Check whether the warranty covers materials and labor or labor alone. Most warranties range between 3 to 9 years, depending on the company you choose.
PVC fence vs. wood fence
Wood fences cost approximately $1,500 to $4,000, depending on the wood quality and type. They are cheaper than vinyl fences and are easier for DIY installations. Installing wood fences may take longer, but it is easier to undo mistakes.
Wood fencing, however, requires high maintenance, which involves painting and staining, to protect it from mold and decay. Both fence types have their advantages and disadvantages, as outlined below.
Pros and cons of PVC fence
- They outlast wood fences.
- PVC requires little or no maintenance.
- They do not warp, rot or decay.
- They are fire-resistant.
- They do not attract termites.
- Their initial installation cost is high.
- Repairing PVC fences is costlier than wood.
- They are not as appealing as natural wood fences.
Pros and cons of wooden fence
- Their initial installation cost is cheaper than PVC fencing.
- They are more affordable and easier to repair.
- Their natural appearance makes them very appealing.
- They require high maintenance than PVC.
- They are costly in the long run due to high maintenance costs.
- They are susceptible to mold, rot, and termites.
- They are flammable.
- Inexpensive wood can warp during harsh weather.
How to maintain PVC fence?
PVC fences are typically low maintenance and are a perfect choice for homeowners with busy schedules. They, however, need proper care and maintenance from time to time to ensure they last long. To keep the fence in good condition, you should:
- Wash it regularly using a sponge and mild detergent.
- Use mold prevention coating to prevent fungus from growing. Also, eliminate mold when you see it.
- Inspect the fence annually and fix any damages as soon as possible.
- Trim overhanging branches to prevent the fence from damage.
If your fence needs repairs, ensure you hire professional repairers to ensure the fence maintains its original look.
PVC fences are very strong and durable. They do not rot or blister and do not allow mold growth. When cleaned and maintained properly, they can last for up to 30 years or more. The materials used to design PVC fences are of high quality, making them stand firm even in harsh weather. The strength of a PVC fence is characterized by the ingredients used to design it and its thickness.
While there are many good quality PVC fences in the market, there may be some slight differences in quality and longevity. That being said, CertainTeed is one of the best PVC fence manufacturers. The quality of the fences is top-notch, and the fences have outstanding performance.
PVC fences are typically low maintenance, but they can still fail if they are not properly cleaned and cared for. The following are a few tips for regular maintenance of your fence.
- Clean the fence regularly using the recommended cleaners
- Remove any fungus as soon as you spot it
- Remove overhanging branches to prevent them from falling over the fence
- Inspect the fence annually to ensure it is still strong
- Do repairs immediately to maintain its integrity and aesthetics
A well-maintained fence can last for many years, which means you will not need new installations for a long time.
PVC fences are an excellent investment as they can boost a home’s value. They are also a perfect choice for privacy and security. While you can DIY the fence installation, it is best to hire qualified installers. This is because a professionally installed fence will be stronger and more durable. Besides, professional installations are aesthetically appealing and will improve the curb appeal of your home.